Have you ever went to buy moving boxes and either bought too many or the wrong ones that did they not hold up to the job? Handyman Moving is here to help as we sell boxes and packing supplies at really affordable prices! We have a direct connection with local moving supply wholesalers and can offer you moving industry standard boxes and supplies half the price major Vanlines charge.
These are not the thin boxes you find at your local mini storage or a hardware store. These corrugated fiberboard boxes are rated by an industry standard known as ECT (Edge Crush Test). This indicates the pounds per square inch the
box standing on edge can withstand. All of our standard moving boxes (small, medium, large) have a rating of 32 lbs per square inch before crushing. We do not recommend buying thin flimsy boxes that will not even make it a whole move and can result in damaging your items inside the boxes.
There are six basic sizes of moving cartons that are designed for certain types of goods and a certain weight. The heavier the item the smaller the carton should be to ensure the weight is more manageable
- 1.5 Cu. Small “book” Box – 16″x12″x12″ (Great for books, tools, canned goods. The smallest carton and is best for the heaviest most dense items. A 1.5 cu box packed with books averages 40-50lbs.)
- 3.1 Cu. Medium Box – 18″x18″x16″(Mover’s favorite – For anything that will not fit in a medium box such as notebooks, small electronics, pots and pans.)
- 4.5 Cu. Large Box – 18″x18″x24″ (The 4.5 and 3.0 Cu boxes are the general purpose workhorse cartons. )
- 5.2 Cu. Dish Pack – 18″x18″x28″ (The dish pack is a double walled (twice as thick) box that is your best bet for packing anything fragile. These boxes are immortal and almost indestructible. This is the box with the most bang for your buck and are worth every penny.)
- 6.1 Cu. XL Box – 23″x23″x20″ ( This is a lampshade carton. pull the metal harps from your shades and stack them inside of each other along with layers of packing paper to fit multiple lamp shades per box. It can also hold bulky comforters, quilts and even light children toys. This box is not designed for heavier items. Many non movers purchase these boxes because they are big and cheap but do not consider their limitations. a 6.0 cube is equivalent to four 1.5 book boxes or two 3.0 medium boxes. A 6.0 Cu box full of books can easily weigh 200lbs! Even though our movers are capable of carying 200lbs at a time it is not smart and the box probably can’t and will break at the bottom. )
- 18″ Wardrobe box – 18″ x 18″ x 45″ (The garment box or wardrobe carton is also double walled and is the safest and mose efficient way to pack and haul your hanging clothes. These cartons are $10.00 a piece but compare that to the cost of repressing or dry cleaning the cloths in 18″ of rod space in your closest. Longer items like coats and dresses will generally hang to the bottom of the box, while shorter ones will leave room in the bottom for shoes, purses and hats.
If you need any help choosing the right boxes for your move call us today and we will help you. Also all of our boxes come with a buyback guarantee. If you purchase too many boxes we will buy back any that you did not use, no questions asked!
Click here for a price list of moving supplies.